Smoking blamed, quick action by staff credited for saving patient in hospital fire

Patient Safety Monitor Insider

November 26, 2014

A patient who was smoking while using oxygen is being blamed for a fire in a Fargo, North Dakota hospital that injured both the patient and a staff member, according to a report in the Daily News of Wahpeton.

The fire broke out early in the morning of November 17 at the Sanford Medical Center, according to the report, and officials said a quick response by hospital employees prevented a much more serious fire.

While the nature of the injuries were withheld due to confidentiality laws, the report said that the damage to the room was minor. According to fire officials quoted in the report, hospital employees who responded to the smoke alarm rescued the patient, had the fire out when firefighters arrived, and evacuated patients in nearby rooms.